By Richard Yeo
Read or Download Notebooks, English Virtuosi, and Early Modern Science PDF
Best uk history books
This book examines the British infantrymen at the Western entrance and the way they answered to the conflict panorama they encountered in the back of the strains and on the entrance. utilizing a multidisciplinary point of view, this learn investigates the connection among squaddies and the areas and fabrics of the warzone, interpreting how squaddies built a ‘sense of position’ within the antagonistic, unpredictable setting.
Whilst the yank Civil struggle broke out in 1861, a crucial query for British intellectuals used to be even if the yankee clash used to be facts of the viability of democracy as a starting place for contemporary governance. the teachings of the yankee Civil conflict for Britain might stay a focus within the debate on democracy through the struggle as much as the suffrage reform of 1867, and after.
This clean and readable account provides a whole heritage of the collage of Oxford, from its beginnings within the 11th century to the current day. Written by way of one of many prime professionals at the historical past of universities the world over, it lines Oxford's unbelievable upward thrust from provincial backwater to at least one of the world's best centres of analysis and educating.
This ebook deals a brand new viewpoint to the present debate approximately renowned spiritual attitudes in Tudor England, laying specific emphasis at the social and secular dimensions of parish lifestyles. The argument makes a speciality of the position of the laity and particularly at the workplace of churchwarden. It assesses the emerging degrees of parish source of revenue, the significance of the social context for fund-raising ideas, and the transforming into expenditure on clergymen, voluntary actions and administrative tasks.
- Servants: English Domestics in the Eighteenth Century
- Daniel O'Connell and the Anti-Slavery Movement: 'The Saddest People the Sun Sees'
- Victorian Yankees at Queen Victoria's Court: American Encounters with Victoria and Albert
- The British Missionary Enterprise since 1700 (Christianity and Society in the Modern World)
- Irish Religious Conflict in Comparative Perspective: Catholics, Protestants and Muslims (Histories of the Sacred and Secular, 1700-2000)
- Geological History of Britain and Ireland
Extra info for Notebooks, English Virtuosi, and Early Modern Science