By Martin Allen,Matthew Davies
Read or Download Medieval merchants and money: essays in honour of James L. Bolton PDF
Best uk history books
This book examines the British infantrymen at the Western entrance and the way they answered to the struggle panorama they encountered in the back of the strains and on the entrance. utilizing a multidisciplinary point of view, this examine investigates the connection among squaddies and the areas and fabrics of the warzone, examining how squaddies developed a ‘sense of position’ within the antagonistic, unpredictable setting.
Whilst the yankee Civil warfare broke out in 1861, a principal query for British intellectuals used to be even if the yankee clash was once facts of the viability of democracy as a beginning for contemporary governance. the teachings of the yankee Civil battle for Britain could stay a focus within the debate on democracy through the warfare as much as the suffrage reform of 1867, and after.
This clean and readable account supplies a whole historical past of the college of Oxford, from its beginnings within the 11th century to the current day. Written by means of one of many best professionals at the heritage of universities across the world, it strains Oxford's inconceivable upward thrust from provincial backwater to 1 of the world's prime centres of analysis and instructing.
This booklet deals a brand new point of view to the present debate approximately renowned spiritual attitudes in Tudor England, laying specific emphasis at the social and secular dimensions of parish lifestyles. The argument makes a speciality of the function of the laity and particularly at the place of work of churchwarden. It assesses the emerging degrees of parish source of revenue, the significance of the social context for fund-raising ideas, and the turning out to be expenditure on monks, voluntary actions and administrative tasks.
- Revolution Against Empire: Taxes, Politics, and the Origins of American Independence (The Lewis Walpole Series in Eighteenth-Century Culture and History)
- Cecily Duchess of York
- The Origins of Modern Historiography in India: Antiquarianism and Philology, 1780-1880 (Palgrave Studies in Cultural and Intellectual History)
- Empire, Politics and the Creation of the 1935 India Act: Last Act of the Raj
- 'Nobler imaginings and mightier struggles': Octavia Hill, social activism and the remaking of British society
- Lord Robert Cecil: Politician and Internationalist
Extra resources for Medieval merchants and money: essays in honour of James L. Bolton