By D. Gary Miller
considers the complexity of pageant among local and borrowed kinds. the writer examines postclassical, medieval, and early sleek Latin derivatives, and demonstrates that Latin continues to be, and sure to stay, a efficient resource of English phrases. He lines the suffixes again to their
Proto-Indo-European origins and offers copious examples for each element of his discussion.
Professor Miller's cutting edge booklet makes a major contribution to the historical past of either English and Latin morphology and etymology, in addition to to the heritage of suffixal derivation in Indo-European. it's going to curiosity students and scholars of comparative morphology, old and comparative linguistics, etymology, and lexicography.
Read or Download Latin Suffixal Derivatives in English: and Their Indo-European Ancestry (Oxford Linguistics) PDF
Similar linguistics books
Ken and Yetta Goodman’s expert paintings has been a lifelong collaboration, proficient by way of shared philosophical strands. An overarching aim has been to supply entry for all young children to literacy and studying and to notify and increase educating and studying. every one is also famous for particular components of concentration and is understood for specific thoughts.
A De Gruyter name
This e-book deals an creation for Translation reports (TS) students to serious Translation stories (CTS), a cultural-studies method of the learn of translation spearheaded by way of Sakai Naoki and Lydia H. Liu, with an implicit specialise in translation as a social perform formed by means of strength kinfolk in society.
This quantity demystifies the systems and useful makes use of of Grounded concept, a well-established examine technique used world wide this present day via social scientists, lecturers, and qualitative researchers. meant for graduate scholars, supervisors, and researchers, it presents readers with the instruments for figuring out, justifying, and disseminating new theoretical insights for the utilized Linguistics neighborhood and past.
- Life and Works of Alexander Csoma De Koros: Volume 50 (Trubner's Oriental Series)
- Speaking Pittsburghese: The Story of a Dialect (Oxford Studies in Sociolinguistics)
- Grammatical Borrowing in Cross-Linguistic Perspective (Empirical Approaches to Language Typology [EALT])
- Aviation English: A lingua franca for pilots and air traffic controllers (Routledge Research in English for Specific Purposes)
- Language Modeling for Automatic Speech Recognition of Inflective Languages: An Applications-Oriented Approach Using Lexical Data (SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering)
- Russian Diaspora: Culture, Identity, and Language Change (Contributions to the Sociology of Language [CSL])
Extra resources for Latin Suffixal Derivatives in English: and Their Indo-European Ancestry (Oxford Linguistics)