By Marco Barducci
Marco Barducci goals to deepen our figuring out of the connections that made English political idea a part of the background of eu proposal. To this finish, it brings jointly a succinct account of Grotius's personal pondering on key issues, mapping those debts inside of English debates, to teach why his rules have been seen
to be correct at key moments; exhibits expertise of the chances for the misappropriation inherent in reception; and provides whatever new to our knowing of why seventeenth-century Englishmen argued within the ways in which they did.
Read Online or Download Hugo Grotius and the Century of Revolution, 1613-1718: Transnational Reception in English Political Thought PDF
Best uk history books
This book examines the British squaddies at the Western entrance and the way they answered to the struggle panorama they encountered at the back of the traces and on the entrance. utilizing a multidisciplinary viewpoint, this examine investigates the connection among squaddies and the areas and fabrics of the warzone, examining how squaddies developed a ‘sense of position’ within the antagonistic, unpredictable surroundings.
Whilst the yank Civil warfare broke out in 1861, a crucial query for British intellectuals was once even if the yankee clash was once facts of the viability of democracy as a beginning for contemporary governance. the teachings of the yank Civil struggle for Britain could stay a focus within the debate on democracy during the warfare as much as the suffrage reform of 1867, and after.
This clean and readable account supplies an entire heritage of the collage of Oxford, from its beginnings within the 11th century to the current day. Written via one of many top professionals at the background of universities across the world, it lines Oxford's inconceivable upward push from provincial backwater to 1 of the world's major centres of study and educating.
This publication deals a brand new viewpoint to the present debate approximately renowned spiritual attitudes in Tudor England, laying specific emphasis at the social and secular dimensions of parish existence. The argument makes a speciality of the position of the laity and particularly at the workplace of churchwarden. It assesses the emerging degrees of parish source of revenue, the significance of the social context for fund-raising ideas, and the starting to be expenditure on clergymen, voluntary actions and administrative tasks.
- The Foundations of the British Labour Party: Identities, Cultures and Perspectives, 1900-39 (Studies in Labour History)
- Becoming Centaur: Eighteenth-Century Masculinity and English Horsemanship (Animalibus: Of Animals and Cultures)
- John Armstrong's The Art of Preserving Health: Eighteenth-Century Sensibility in Practice
- Making a Man of Him: Parents and Their Sons' Education at an English Public School 1929-50: Volume 10 (Routledge Library Editions: Education and Gender)
- John Jewel and the English National Church: The Dilemmas of an Erastian Reformer (St Andrews Studies in Reformation History)
- Labours Old and New: The Parliamentary Right of the British Labour Party 1970-79 and the Roots of New Labour (Critical Labour Movement Studies MUP)
Additional info for Hugo Grotius and the Century of Revolution, 1613-1718: Transnational Reception in English Political Thought