By J. Burkett
Read Online or Download Constructing Post-Imperial Britain: Britishness, 'Race' and the Radical Left in the 1960s PDF
Similar uk history books
This book examines the British squaddies at the Western entrance and the way they answered to the warfare panorama they encountered in the back of the strains and on the entrance. utilizing a multidisciplinary point of view, this learn investigates the connection among infantrymen and the areas and fabrics of the warzone, reading how squaddies developed a ‘sense of position’ within the opposed, unpredictable surroundings.
While the yank Civil struggle broke out in 1861, a principal query for British intellectuals was once even if the yankee clash was once facts of the viability of democracy as a beginning for contemporary governance. the teachings of the yank Civil battle for Britain could stay a focus within the debate on democracy during the conflict as much as the suffrage reform of 1867, and after.
This clean and readable account provides an entire background of the college of Oxford, from its beginnings within the 11th century to the current day. Written by means of one of many major experts at the heritage of universities across the world, it strains Oxford's inconceivable upward push from provincial backwater to 1 of the world's top centres of study and instructing.
This booklet deals a brand new standpoint to the present debate approximately well known non secular attitudes in Tudor England, laying specific emphasis at the social and secular dimensions of parish lifestyles. The argument specializes in the position of the laity and particularly at the workplace of churchwarden. It assesses the emerging degrees of parish source of revenue, the significance of the social context for fund-raising recommendations, and the turning out to be expenditure on clergymen, voluntary actions and administrative tasks.
- The Transformation of British and American Naval Policy in the Pre-Dreadnought Era: Ideas, Culture and Strategy
- Imperial Medicine: Patrick Manson and the Conquest of Tropical Disease
- Magical Treasure Hunting in Europe and North America: A History (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic)
- Picturing the Past: English History in Text and Image, 1830-1870 (Oxford Historical Monographs)
- Britain and the International Committee of the Red Cross, 1939-1945
- The Making of England: A New History of the Anglo-Saxon World (Library of Medieval Studies)
Additional info for Constructing Post-Imperial Britain: Britishness, 'Race' and the Radical Left in the 1960s