By Keith Brown,Sarah Ogilvie
It will supply complete descriptions of the phonology, semantics, morphology, and syntax of the world’s significant languages, giving insights into their constitution, heritage and improvement, sounds, which means, constitution, and language kinfolk, thereby either highlighting their range for comparative learn, and contextualizing them in accordance with their genetic relationships and local distribution.
Based at the hugely acclaimed and award-winning Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, this quantity will supply an edited choice of virtually four hundred articles all through which a consultant subset of the world's significant languages are spread out and defined in up to date terminology and authoritative interpretation, by means of the major students in linguistics.
In highlighting the range of the world’s languages — from the thriving to the endangered and extinct — this paintings would be the first element of name to any language professional drawn to this massive quarter. No different unmarried quantity will fit the level of language insurance or the authority of the members of Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World.
* notable breadth of assurance: a complete number of slightly below four hundred articles overlaying the world's significant languages, language households, and class buildings, concerns and disputes
* Peerless caliber: according to twenty years of educational improvement on variations of the major reference source in linguistics, Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics
* particular authorship: 350 of the world's top specialists introduced jointly for one purpose
* unparalleled editorial choice, evaluation and validation procedure: Keith Brown and Sarah Ogilvie act as first-tier guarantors for article caliber and coverage
* Compact and reasonable: one-volume structure makes this compatible for private examine at any establishment attracted to areal, descriptive, or comparative language learn - and at a fragment of the price of the total encyclopedia
Read Online or Download Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World (Concise Encyclopedias of Language and Linguistics) PDF
Best linguistics books
Ken and Yetta Goodman’s expert paintings has been a lifelong collaboration, knowledgeable by means of shared philosophical strands. An overarching aim has been to supply entry for all young children to literacy and studying and to notify and enhance educating and studying. every one is also famous for particular parts of concentration and is understood for specific strategies.
A De Gruyter identify
This booklet deals an creation for Translation experiences (TS) students to severe Translation stories (CTS), a cultural-studies method of the learn of translation spearheaded by way of Sakai Naoki and Lydia H. Liu, with an implicit specialize in translation as a social perform formed through strength family in society.
This quantity demystifies the techniques and functional makes use of of Grounded concept, a well-established examine method used all over the world this day through social scientists, academics, and qualitative researchers. meant for graduate scholars, supervisors, and researchers, it presents readers with the instruments for knowing, justifying, and disseminating new theoretical insights for the utilized Linguistics group and past.
- Linguistic Meaning (RLE Linguistics A: General Linguistics) (Routledge Library Editions: Linguistics)
- Viewpoint and the Fabric of Meaning: Form and Use of Viewpoint Tools across Languages and Modalities (Cognitive Linguistics Research [CLR])
- True to Form: Rising and Falling Declaratives as Questions in English (Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics)
- Tissue Engineering: Engineering Principles for the Design of Replacement Organs and Tissues
- Language, Literacy, and Technology
- Advanced Applications of Natural Language Processing for Performing Information Extraction (SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Additional resources for Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World (Concise Encyclopedias of Language and Linguistics)