By John Miller
Read or Download Cities Divided: Politics and Religion in English Provincial Towns 1660-1722 PDF
Best uk history books
This book examines the British infantrymen at the Western entrance and the way they answered to the conflict panorama they encountered at the back of the strains and on the entrance. utilizing a multidisciplinary point of view, this research investigates the connection among infantrymen and the areas and fabrics of the warzone, interpreting how squaddies developed a ‘sense of position’ within the adversarial, unpredictable surroundings.
Whilst the yankee Civil struggle broke out in 1861, a critical query for British intellectuals was once even if the yank clash used to be facts of the viability of democracy as a origin for contemporary governance. the teachings of the yankee Civil conflict for Britain might stay a focus within the debate on democracy in the course of the warfare as much as the suffrage reform of 1867, and after.
This clean and readable account offers a whole historical past of the college of Oxford, from its beginnings within the 11th century to the current day. Written by way of one of many prime specialists at the background of universities across the world, it strains Oxford's unbelievable upward push from provincial backwater to at least one of the world's best centres of analysis and instructing.
This publication deals a brand new point of view to the present debate approximately renowned spiritual attitudes in Tudor England, laying specific emphasis at the social and secular dimensions of parish existence. The argument makes a speciality of the position of the laity and particularly at the place of work of churchwarden. It assesses the emerging degrees of parish source of revenue, the significance of the social context for fund-raising techniques, and the becoming expenditure on monks, voluntary actions and administrative tasks.
- Aspects of Capital Investment in Great Britain 1750-1850: A preliminary survey, report of a conference held the University of Sheffield, 5-7 January 1969: Volume 23 (Economic History)
- Working-Class Life in Northern England, 1945-2010: The Pre-History and After-Life of the Inbetweener Generation
- Before the Ironclad: Warship Design and Development 1815-1860
- Knowledge, mediation and empire: James Tod's journeys among the Rajputs (Studies in Imperialism MUP)
- The Oxford History of the British Empire: Volume V: Historiography
Extra info for Cities Divided: Politics and Religion in English Provincial Towns 1660-1722