By Shirley R. Steinberg,Michael Kehler,Lindsay Cornish
In this two-volume set, a sequence of specialist individuals examine what it capability to be a boy starting to be up in North the USA, with entries overlaying every thing from toys and video games, family and friends, and mental and social development.
• 166 entries on particular elements of boyhood existence in North the USA this present day, starting from boy-centered toys, video games, and media to problems with masculinity and complicated notions of manhood
• specialist individuals from quite a few educational disciplines, supplying perception right into a diversity of concerns regarding the lives of North American boys
• Bibliographic listings of works mentioned and additional analyzing in print and online
• A complete index
Read or Download Boy Culture: An Encyclopedia PDF
Best popular culture books
From the consistent ads messages from beer, wine and liquor brands to events, weddings, and different social gatherings the place alcohol is served to after-work chuffed hours with coworkers, the impression and presence of alcohol are inescapable within the usa. based on a central authority resource, 50 percentage of yank adults pointed out themselves as "regular drinkers" (having at the least 12 beverages some time past year).
This quantity presents an leading edge and well timed method of a quick starting to be, but nonetheless under-studied box in Latin American cultural construction: electronic on-line tradition. It makes a speciality of the modifications or continuations that cultural items and practices equivalent to hypermedia fictions, web. paintings and on-line functionality artwork, in addition to blogs, motion pictures, databases and different genre-defying web-based initiatives, practice with appreciate to Latin American(ist) discourses, in addition to their frequently contestatory positioning with admire to Western hegemonic discourses as they movement on-line.
First released in 1979, this now vintage textual content provides an enormous examine of the improvement of academic platforms, focusing intimately on these of britain, Denmark, France, and Russia - selected due to their current academic adjustments and the old variety in their cultures and social constructions.
What are the elements of teenage cultures this day? This encyclopedia examines the features of adlescent cultures and brings them to the vanguard. bargains info on teams past the gangs the general public affiliates with early life tradition, supplying definitions of suburban adolescence tradition, survivalists and preppers, the deaf, skate boarders, Gen X, squaddies, and highway teenagers, between othersProvides assurance of the expressive genres of yankee formative years and how they've got formed public tastes and tendencies, comparable to song, dance, type, tattooing, physique piercing, social media, and moreFeatures an exploration of lifestyles concerns for early life that experience entered into the headlines—for instance, bullying, cliques, rites of passage, scholar protest and activism, baby abuse, and medication
- Bourdieu for Educators: Policy and Practice
- Smart Ball: Marketing the Myth and Managing the Reality of Major League Baseball
- Indigenous People, Race Relations and Australian Sport (Sport in the Global Society – Contemporary Perspectives)
- Sport, Fun and Enjoyment: An Embodied Approach (Routledge Studies in Physical Education and Youth Sport)
- Findings: The Material Culture of Needlework and Sewing
- Reading Bernstein, Researching Bernstein
Extra resources for Boy Culture: An Encyclopedia